Re: Which scanners REALLY provide 36 bit output? HP?

From: Stephen Williams (steve@icarus.com)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 17:29:17 PST

    root@mauve.demon.co.uk said:
    > It is possible to do a spectrographic scanner. As a first cut, take an
    > ordinary scanner, replace the fluorescant tube with some sort of light
    > that emits over a wider spectrum. Now, replace the linear imaging
    > array with a square one, and stick a diffraction grating in the
    > optical path.

    Huh, clever.
    You need a lot of light to do that. To get an N sample-per-pixel scan,
    you need at least N times as much light. You may be able to get step the
    line more slowly (let the CCD integrate over a longer period of time) but
    limits to patience may come into play.

    We have experience making cameras that have multiple sensors, with the
    image split by a beam splitter, and the simple quantity of available
    light quickly becomes a limiting factor.

    steve@icarus.com              But I have promises to keep,
    steve@picturel.com            and lines to code before I sleep,