Re: new patch for HP OfficeJet support

From: David Paschal (paschal@rcsis.com)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 15:38:06 PST

    Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
    > On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 04:40:42AM -0800, David Paschal wrote:
    > > Attached is a patch containing the remainder of the changes that are needed
    > > to enable support for SCL-based HP OfficeJet multi-function peripherals.
    > Looks OK for me. Maybe add a (default=/usr/local) to the configure
    > help text? I can only test that it doesn't harm compilation without
    > the ptal header/lib.
    Hi, Henning. Sounds good to me. Here's what I changed that line to, and
    it's still one line in case it wraps on your display:
    + [ --with-ptal=DIR specify the top-level PTAL directory,
    default=/usr/local])

    > Concerning hp.desc: The meaning of "interface" is how the scanner is
    > connected to the computer by hardware (to distinguish e.g. USB and
    > SCSI models). So this would be "Parport" in your case if I understood
    > correctly. Look at template.desc. for details. You may add some words
    > about ptal in :comment.
    Currently, PTAL and its associated low-level kernel drivers support
    peripherals attached to the parallel port of the computer, or to a LAN
    using an HP JetDirect external print server. In the future I plan to add
    USB support as well. All of this is transparent to SANE, however. So
    just saying "Parport" would be a little inaccurate. For now I could say
    "Parport(ECP) and JetDirect 70X/170X/300X/500X", and later when I add USB
    support to PTAL I could come back and update hp.desc, but that's getting
    rather long. What would you suggest to do about this? (I don't want to
    merge PTAL and all the other external I/O code into SANE, because it is
    used for other things besides scanning.)

    > Please put things like "partial support" to the comment column also
    > (because ther is not too much room in the "model" column with most web
    > browsers).
    Got it. Is this OK?:
    :model "HP OfficeJet K series"
    :interface "PTAL"
    :comment "partial support -- requires extra steps to scan successfully"

    David