Re: Latest snapscan non-portable

From: Paul Floyd (paulf@free.fr)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 13:31:48 PST

    cbagwell@sprynet.com wrote:

    > > I've downloaded the latest snapscan sources, and they cannot be
    > > compiled on NT
    > > or OS/2. This is due to the use of the System V style semaphores.
    > > Would it be
    > > possible to use a more portable form of IPC?
    >
    > I've read bits and pieces on the mailing list that other parts of
    > SANE do not compile under OS/2 and remember something about
    > semiphores being discuessed in regards to the sanei_scsi.c
    > drivers. Is this related?

    No, it's just the new code that adds SysV semaphores that isn't
    portable.

    The other problem with OS/2 is due to the slightly different behaviour
    of fork.

    > I've been looking at how sanei_scsi.c deals with different platform
    > and think I'll add the same for snapscan's USB drivers... If your
    > not a known Unix system then you'll just get stub USB functions.

    That would be better than source that won't compile.

    > I'm assuming that OS/2 does not have USB drivers and that NT
    > doesn't have support for a /dev/scanner type device (I don't
    > see it being done in the sanei_scsi.c file anyways so I don't
    > see why they'd have it for USB).

    OS/2 does have USB support, but I know next to nothing about it. I've
    not tried compiling under NT yet either, as there's no shortage of
    Windows scanner software.

    Regards
    Paul

    --