Re: [snapscan] Core testing group

From: Timothy Little (tim@lilly-villa.little-possums.net)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 14:06:16 PST

    On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 07:39:30PM +0100, Sebastien Sable wrote:

    > What do you think of only keeping 3 kinds of models (SNAPSCAN300 -
    > SNAPSCAN600 - SNAPSCAN600P)?

    Would it make sense to list the capabilities of the scanner, rather
    than model categories?

    e.g. something like
    scanner.dpi = 600;
    scanner.buffer = 128*1024;
    scanner.depth = 10;

    Or is this already done? I have only looked at the code briefly, so I
    may be way off base here. Then again, if the 3 model categories
    really do cover all the possibilities, then it's fine as-is.

    I am just imagining having to add a fourth category at a later stage,
    with a new case for every switch, then a fifth...

    > I will probably change the backend to automatically detect USB
    > models too and so suppress the #define USB_STUFF.

    That would be great. As it stands, I have to hand-edit the source
    code to uncomment the USB line, hoping I don't uncomment the wrong
    line by mistake and mess up something else. A 'configure' switch
    would do just as well, if it's too messy for a simple run-time
    detection. (e.g. configure --enable-snapscan-usb)

    > Agfa 1212U
    > SNAPSCAN 1212U
    > Works (to be confirmed)
    > 600dpi
    > SNAPSCAN600P

    My model still hangs at the "mini_inquiry" stage. Switching on
    SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI in addition to SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN yields

    [snapscan] mini_inquiry
    [sanei_scsi] scsi_req_enter: entered 0x80505b8
    [sanei_scsi] sanei_scsi.issue: 0x80505b8
    [sanei_scsi] sanei_scsi.issue: bad write (errno=62) Timer expired -1
    [sanei_scsi] scsi_req_enter: queue_used: 0, queue_max: 1
    [sanei_scsi] sanei_scsi_req_wait: waiting for 0x80505b8
    [sanei_scsi] sanei_scsi.issue: 0x80505b8
    [snapscan] mini_inquiry: sanei_scsi_cmd command failed: Error during device I/O

    Unfortunately, I don't know how to find out for sure whether it's SANE
    that's at fault or something else in my system. I am using an
    outdated experimental kernel (2.4.0-test9), though it has worked
    previously with the older usb-patched sane-1.0.3.

    If anyone else has an AGFA Snapscan 1212U version 1, I'd like to hear
    whether the 01112000 snapscan backend works for them.

    - Tim