Re: [snapscan] Core testing group

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 08:49:29 PST

    cbagwell@sprynet.com wrote:

    > [...]
    > Its described as 48-bits on the box but I downloaded the specs for the scanner chip

    > it uses and it says something about 14 bits only.

    There seems to be a bit war in the scanner industry right now. We are starting to see some outrageous numbers of bits quote. The best real values are about 14 per color, or 42 overall. Anything more is fiction. In practice, most scanners only send 8 bits per colour to the host. The rest are lost in gamma
    correction witin the scanner.

    Regards,
    Steve