Re: X-Frontends (xscanimage+xcam) and sane-1.0.4

From: Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 22:01:03 PST

    [Oliver Rauch]
    > In that case we will get in trouble with the versions. If we split
    > frontends and backends in two packages they will get their own
    > version numbers, so a common distribution (backend+frontend) will
    > mix up different version numbers.
    >
    > We should _not_ make any distributions that include backends and
    > frontends when we split them!!! (I think sane-frontends-1.0.4 will
    > keep up to date much longer than sane-1.0.4 (backends)).

    This is a problem with packing both distribution in one, not a problem
    of having the sane-frontend distribution as a subdirectory under sane/
    (or the backend distribution directory) in CVS.

    I really want to keep the sane repository as one subdirectory in CVS.
    It make it easier to fix access control, take backup and move the
    complete repository if it is needed.

    I got a new suggestion. We move the current sane/* into
    sane/sane-backends/ and make a new subdirectory sane/sane-frontends/
    to keep the new distribution. (This is most easily done from inside
    the CVS repository host (ie I have to do it), and will break _all_
    existing checked out versions of SANE -- but all the CVS users should
    be following this list anyway. I believe it is the best idea. :-) Two
    separate distributions and one subdirectory in the repository.

    Any complaints? I will probably do this within the week unless
    someone comes up with a better idea. :-)

    --
    ##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  pere@td.org.uit.no