Re: #include <sane...> instead of "sane..."

From: Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 22:49:06 PST

    > yes, again the includes :-) Jochen Eisinger found some more lines
    > where #include <sane...> was used instead of #include "sane...".

    Could someone explain to me what this change is supposed to do? As
    far as I know, include <> searches in all directories specified in -I
    (in order), plus all 'system' directories. Include "" on the other
    hand searches first in the same directory as the source file it self,
    and then behaves the same way as <>.

    The C bible spesifies:

      A control line of the form

        # include <filename>

      causes the replacement of that line by the entire content of the
      file filename. [...] The named file is searched for in a sequence
      of implementation-dependant places.

      Similarly, a control line of the form

        # include "filename"

      searches first in assosiation with the original source file (a
      deliberately implementation-dependant phrase), and if that search
      fails, then as if in the first form. [...]

    If you check the cpp manual page, it will tell you changing <> to ""
    only adds searching in the current directory. I can not see why this
    gives any advantages when compiling SANE.

    What am I missing?

    --
    ##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  pere@td.org.uit.no