Re: [SnapScan] color problem 300dpi

From: Sebastien Sable (sebastien.sable@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 15:18:19 PDT

    Steve Underwood <steveu@coppice.org> writes:
    > We seem to have received a few useful fixes for the SnapScan backend on this
    > list recently. Are they making it in to CVS? Is someone needed to coordinate
    > these fixes into a coherent, released whole? If certainly don't mind doing that
    > much, even if I am reluctant to become maintainer of things I am unable to test.

    I made a little list watching the web and this mailing-list to see
    what is the state for each scanner of the snapscan backend. There are
    probably things to correct :

    model
    source
    string
    state

    AcerScan 300F
    Sébastien Sablé
    ACERSCAN_A4____1 ACERPER
    works well up to Sane-1.0.1-0.8 with patch
    pb in sane-1.0.1-1.0+ to sane-1.0.3 with 300dpi (with patch)

    SnapScan 310s
    http://lealinux.free.fr/hardware/scanner.php3
    FlatbedScanner_4
    works up to Sane-1.0.1-0.8
    doesn't work with Sane-1.0.1-1.0+ (maybe partially corrected by my patch)

    Acer 320U
    Damon Prater
    FlatbedScanner13
    PRISMA320U ?
    needs firmware update U34V101.BIN
    needs kernel patch for usb support if kernel <2.4
    ? (not reported)
    doesn't work with sane-1.0.3 (maybe partially corrected by my patch)

    Acer 610+
    Steve Underwood
    ?
    color offset problem with sane-1.0.1
    works well with sane-1.0.3

    AcerScan640s
    ?
    620ST: FlatbedScanner_9
    640S: FlatbedScanner18
    ?

    AcerScan 620U-640U
    http://www1.jump.net/~dnelson/linux/usb/news.html
    http://utopia.knoware.nl/~joey/linux/acerscan.htm
    620U: FlatbedScanner13
    620UT: FlatbedScanner16
    640UT: FlatbedScanner16
    needs firmware update
    needs kernel patch for usb support if kernel <2.4
    works with sane-1.0.1 with patch
       Model { "FlatbedScanner13", SNAPSCAN600 },
       Vendor "Color"
    and sane-1.0.1-usb patch
    not reported for sane-1.0.3

    Agfa 1212U
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/henrikj/snapscan/
    ?
    needs firmware update
    needs kernel patch for usb support if kernel <2.4
    works with sane-1.0.1 with patch sane-1.0.1-usb
    pb with sane-1.0.3 in 300dpi+

    1236s
    Richard.Kreckel
    ?
    ? not reported
    pb with sane-1.0.3 in 300dpi

    I think that my 2 lines modification (adapted to those models) could
    make the 3?0 models work with sane-1.0.1 (the 310s problem at least
    looked very similar to the one I had).

    So by using my 2-lines-patch and usb-patch, I think we would have two
    classes of scanners:
    = 3?0 and 12?? working with sane-1.0.1 up to src-0.8 but block with
      sane-1.0.3 in 300dpi+
    = some 6?0 working with sane-1.0.1 with color problem and sane-1.0.3
      without any problem

    so what can we do?
    = correct the problem in sane-1.0.3 which blocks things (best solution
      but may take some time)
    = correct the color offset problem in sane-1.0.1-0.8 for 6?0 and go
      back to this version (don't know if that is feasible)
    = merge snapscan-0.8 and snapscan-1.0+ but with a big test selecting
      between two behaviours for the source (one old 0.8 way and one new
      1.0+ way) depending on the model.

    I think the last solution could be a good way to escape the problem
    while waiting for a correction to this bug. At least, everybody could
    use the last version of the sane package; the backend in itself would
    just be a bit messy. I may try to make it if there is no other
    solution to have everything work.

    --
    Sébastien Sablé
    sebastien.sable@gmx.net