[SnapScan] Acer 300/310/610 and wine debugging

From: Sebastien Sable (sebastien.sable@gmx.net)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 16:40:11 PDT

    Hello everybody,

    short version:

    I still have problems with my acer 300f/snapscan backend *but* now I
    have a complete log of scsi commands used by the original windows
    drivers thanks to wine.

    long version:

    I tried all the modifications proposed by Lawrence Glaister for
    snapscan-1.0.3 backend but my problem is probably completely different
    because I get a picture with garbage at the bottom even in GreyScale.

    So I tried to watch what was coming out of the scanner at the lowest
    level (by dumping pss->buf in scsi_read while in GreyScale). What it
    brings is exactly the picture that scanimage gives me, so I think that
    the problem does not come from a bug in snapscan backend, but from a
    slightly different protocol between Acer 300/310/610 and others
    snapscan scanners.

    So in order to get the protocol of my scanner I downloaded a simple
    twain client (twack) from twain.org and Mirascan 2.6 from Acer. The
    conf file says:
      Customer=VUEGO
      610Plus, 310S, 310P, 310U=yes
    and it does support Acer 300f as well since this is what I have.

    After struggling a few hours and a few dirty hacks with windows, I got
    this to run under latest wine and produce a nice log of all the scsi
    commands used while:
    * doing a preview:
    http://sable.sebastien.free.fr/snapscan/preview.txt
    * scanning in Colour
    http://sable.sebastien.free.fr/snapscan/scan.txt

    I think that by comparing it with what sane does, it shouldn't be to
    difficult to see what goes wrong (or at least I hope so).
    I will probably do it soon, but I would appreciate if someone with a
    better experience of the backend could do it as well and suggest other
    logs if needed.

    This time it's going to work, I swear ;)

    --
    Sébastien Sablé
    sebastien.sable@gmx.net