Re: will my scanner work

From: Timothy Little (tim@lilly-villa.little-possums.net)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 15:58:05 PDT

    On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 12:23:42PM +0200, Oliver Schwartz wrote:

    > With sane-1.0.3 it should be quite simple. You get the USB files (from
    > http://www.ginko.de/user/oschwartz/snapscan/snapscan-usb.tgz), remove the
    > comments for USB includes from snapscan.c and snapscan.h and recompile.

    OK, I've done that. Certainly easier than trying to hand-patch!

    > > [snapscan] add_device: error opening device /dev/usb/scanner0:
    > > Invalid argument
    >
    > That looks like an easy one... Does the device (/dev/usb/scanner0) exist?

    Yes:
     [tim@freeman tim]$ ls -l /dev/usb/scanner0
     crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 180, 48 Jul 19 14:21 /dev/usb/scanner0
     [tim@freeman tim]$

    From the documentation in /usrc/src/linux/usb/scanner.txt, it seems to
    have the correct major and minor numbers.

    > At least on my machine (2.2.16 with USB backport) the correct device
    > is /dev/usbscanner. You have to supply the devicename in
    > snapscan.conf, e.g.

     [tim@freeman tim]$ cat /usr/local/etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf
     scsi AGFA
     scsi COLOR
     scsi Color
     /dev/usb/scanner0
     [tim@freeman tim]$

    Interestingly, I now get a different problem. This time I started
    with the scanner 'awake' when running scanimage. That is, the light
    next to the front button was on.

     [tim@freeman tim]$ export SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255
     [tim@freeman tim]$ scanimage
     [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of snapscan to 255.
     [snapscan] sane_snapscan_init
     [snapscan] add_device(/dev/usb/scanner0)
     [snapscan] usb_open(/dev/usb/scanner0)
     [snapscan] mini_inquiry
     Segmentation fault (core dumped)
     [tim@freeman tim]$

    What could be causing this? I don't seem to be able to find the
    problem using GDB, it doesn't even reach main() before dumping core
    and I can't set a breakpoint. I'm not really experienced at
    diagnosing library problems, which this appears to be.

    This time it seems to succeed in opening the scanner device, so I
    guess I'm making progress of a sort. :^/

    - Tim