Re: How to configure xsane I/P device? (xsane v4l interface)

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 07:17:17 PDT

    Lawrence Glaister wrote:

    > I am using xsane 0.61 with 1.01/1.02/1.03 versions of sane.
    > I have a web cam (Creative Labs webcam 3 USB) on one usb port and usb
    > scanner (Agfa 1212u) on the other port.
    > xscanimage correctly sees both devices and allows me to chose the input
    > device.
    > How do I get xsane to use the scanner instead of the webcam?
    >
    > - A second problem with xsane and the webcam is that yellow areas of the
    > picture show up as blue. I suspect that xsane is expecting an rgb image, but
    > most webcams return a bgr or is it gbr? It may be useful to add a v4l
    > interface config that allows swapping the rgb components.
    >
    > - A third problem with the xsane v4l interface, is that it appears to be
    > using the wrong buffer for pulling its data.... ie, the first preview gives
    > a blank image (black) and the second attempt gives a correct image... this
    > continues... the preview data is always 1 picture behind the last picture
    > taken from the camera. I know the ov511 camera driver has 2 image buffers
    > and toggles between them. This can probably be fixed with a v4l sync call.

    Hi Lawrence,

    - there is no xsane v4l interface, may be you wanted to say sane v4l interface
    - xsane is known not to work fine with v4l, I think xscanimage does not
      work much better. This are problems of the v4l backend.
    - There are several ways to make xsane start with your scanner backend:
      1) for xsane-0.61:
         export SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE=snapscan
      2) if you do not use the v4l backend, set a comment in dll.conf before v4l
      3) call "xsane snapscan" or set an alias

    Bye
    Oliver

    --
    Homepage:	http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch