Re: SnapScan Backend

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 08:47:36 PDT

    Andrew R Reid wrote:

    > I have a Snapscan as well. I have been trying to get it working for over 18 months, and keep reading this list in the hope that I will find someone who has set one up and got it working.
    >
    > If there is anything that I can do to help keep this backend alive, let me know.
    >
    > On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
    > >
    > > Well, I'm sure he will do better then no maintainer at all. At least
    > > he got one scanner available. :-)
    > >
    > > Letting the code rot and eventually throw it away sounds like such a
    > > bad alternative.
    > >

    > i've got a 310S and i've been trying to get it working forever. now and
    > then i experiment, but mostly grad school keeps me away from trying to
    > help get this part of the backend running right. in the mean time i'd be
    > more than happy to help test out anything else that someone else comes up
    > with.
    >
    > mostly this is a note to say that some folks still look at this backend
    > and have hopes for it, so it's not quite dead yet...
    >
    > Russ

    Please try the latest snapscan backend in sane 1.0.3, and tell me what happens. I believe some versions of the backend have worked for the 310S. However, the code underwent major surgery
    last autumn, just before the maintainer evaporated from the face of the Earth. I don't know if the very old version, or the somewhat newer version worked.

    The update I made in May was a major improvement for my Acer 610+ - I added support for this particular model, and a solution for a nasty color offset problem affecting all scanners. The
    offset handling seems to have been the last key thing missing from last autumn's surgery work. Some have reported that my version also solves this problem, and generally works, well for the
    Acer 620S, 620U and 640U. However my additions might well have broken things for other scanners using the snapscan back end. I'm prepared to put some effort into fixing things, but I have
    had rather erratic feedback about problems so far.

    Steve