Re: Creating /dev/scanner

From: Randolph Bentson (bentson@grieg.holmsjoen.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 07:43:48 PDT

    On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 01:58:54AM -0400, M. Peck Dickens wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > OK, I've recieved my Fujitsu 600c and it works great under SANE!. Now, I want to
    > create /dev/scanner and soft link it to /dev/sgd. My question is how do I do
    > this properly and then give /dev/scanner the correct permissions so I can
    > use SANE as joe user instead of as root and still have security in place?

    That's good news.

    You cannot use permissions on "/dev/scanner" to open access.

    Provided you've got a stable hardware environment, i.e., one
    which doesn't have SCSI devices added and removed on a whim,
    you can add a group "sane_oper", add whomever you want to that
    group, "chmod 660 /dev/sgd" and "chgrp sane_oper /dev/sgd".

    At least that's what I do.

    If you have SCSI devices added and removed, the device used to
    access the scanner will change. You'll have to change which
    device has the appropriate permissions. I believe the device
    filesystem in 2.4 kernel will address this problem.

    --
    Randolph Bentson
    bentson@holmsjoen.com