strange library prob with sane (+xsane)

From: Jason Nicholls (jason@mindsocket.com.au)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 11:23:11 PDT

    G'day,

    I recently downloaded the source for sane 1.0.3 and xsane 0.61. There wasn't
    any problems with compilation of either, and sane + it's utils work
    fine (like scanimage). The problem comes when I tried to use xsane and it
    couldn't find any devices (this isn't an xsane prob though, read on).

    After a long time trying to work out what was wrong I traced it to the
    following:

            - sane utils were first finding the sane libraries in
              /usr/local/lib (all sym links into /usr/local/lib/sane)

            - xsane utils were first finding the same libraries in
              /usr/local/lib/sane

    That all sounds pretty great, but the problem was the sym links in
    /usr/local/lib/sane were not quite correct.

    Rather than have "libsane.so.1" pointing to "libsane-dll.so.1" it was pointing
    to "libsane-v4l.so.1". So whenever xsane was starting it would immediately use
    the v4l backend and not find any devices (cause I'm using a umax scanner and
    the umax backend).

    Ok, I've found the problem and simply fix the broken sym link, yes? Well
    that's what I do but next time ldconfig is run it removes and sets up a
    broken link again.

    So what I want to know is why this is happening and whether this is my fault
    or ldconfig, or something todo with sane (not xsane).

    BTW, this wasn't a problem when using the previous release of sane (1.0.2) and
    xsane. I don't know whether this was because the older xsane looked in
    /usr/local/lib (rather than in the sane sub-dir) or whether the links were
    correct.

    I'm pretty sure I can recompile xsane to use the /usr/local/lib dir in the
    future but that doesn't solve the problem - it's just ignoring it ;)

    Some system information:

    Redhat 6.1, glibc 2.1.2, egcs 2.91.66 (egcs-1.1.2 release)
    using a umax Astra 1220S and an adaptec 29?? (future domain SCSI 2)

    Later,

    Jason Nicholls