Re: Acer ScanPrisa 640UT

From: D Milburn (milburn@saturn-mig.co.uk)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 06:05:52 PDT

    On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Oliver Schwartz wrote:

    > I have tried them the hard way for my 620UT. It seems that the naming
    > convention for the firmware file is something like 'uXXvYYY.bin'. I assume that
    > the first letter ('u' or 'p') indicates USB or parallel models. YYY seems to
    > indicate the version number. I finally succeeded with the file with the highest
    > version number.
    >
    > Maybe this helps you to chose the right one. But keep your thumb on the power
    > switch...
    >
    > Oliver

    Thanks Oliver, I just tried them all from the highest version downwards.
    It seems that the firmware which makes the scanner sound (initialise?)
    most like windows is u64v119.bin. (reports model FlatbedScanner16)
    With this firmware transferred (I assume USB is working thus far),
    scanimage then does nothing:

     scanimage -d snapscan:/dev/usbscanner

    (I then have to switch the scanner off before anything happens)

    scanimage: open of device snapscan:/dev/usbscanner failed: Invalid
    argument

    similarly any other scanimage option has the same effect. My snapscan.conf
    is like so:

    usb Color
    /dev/usbscanner

    but I don't really understand how this should be - can any body elucidate
    this a little for me please? I don't know what else could be causing a
    problem.

    I am using sane 1.0.2 with a 2.2.16 kernel with the USB backport.

    Cheers,

    Duncan