Re: insane sane problems :)

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 13:33:15 PDT

    "Jonathan P. Dietrich" wrote:

    > I am new to sane and have a question I can' figure out. I have a Umax
    > Astra 600S scanner that I am trying to make work in Linux. I looked on
    > the Sane homepage and found that this scanner is supported by sane, so I
    >
    > downloaded a pre-compiled version of Sane. (I don't know how to compile
    > source code) Then I typed:
    >
    > dpkg -i sane_1.0.2-1.deb
    >
    > I get a message after this that sane conflicts with gimp 1.1.22-1
    >
    > I can't figure out what to do, as I don't know much about what I am
    > doing. Can somebody explain simply what I need and what I am doing
    > wrong? I am sure I sound ignorant, but I am trying to learn. I was
    > "brought up" on Windows and am trying to switch over to Linux. Quite a
    > contrast, to say the least!

    Hi Jonathan,

    it looks like you try to install a sane version where xscanimage is compiled with
    an other gimp version than you have installed.

    Try to find out what gimp version in needed (don`t ask me how, I don`t know the debian
    package manager) and install that gimp version

    Bye
    Oliver

    --
    Homepage:       http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch