Re: Towards release 1.0.3?

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 10:40:33 PDT

    > I guess it is time to make a new release. I suggest making a new
    > release in 1.5 month, with the following schedule:
    >
    > 3 weeks to apply patches
    > -- feature freeze
    > 2 weeks to test all patches
    > -- code freeze
    > 1 week to fix remaining bugs
    > -- release.

    Looks ok for me.

    > I'll try to find time to add the V4L backend. The only other vital
    > change I know about is the sane_close() bug. It must be fixed in all
    > backends.

    I did this for backend/abaton.c apple.c qcam.c tamarack.c some minutes ago.
    These don't seem to have an active maintainer.

    I have added the sane-desc.el addition (interface) also and changes of the
    .desc files of the unmaintained backends (abaton.desc agfafocus.desc
    apple.desc dc210.desc dmc.desc qcam.desc ricoh.desc s9036.desc snapscan.desc
    tamarack.desc). I have added "Serial port" as a further interface type. I
    wasn't sure if qcam has Parport or proprietary interface, can somebody
    enlighten me about this? Shall I change the .desc files for the backends
    not included in the distrubution also?

    I have included the Parallel port interface for the Mustek scanners
    (sanei_pa4s2) now. So it will be possible to include the backend for Mustek
    parallel port scanners (mustek_pp, supersedes musteka4s2). It's up to Jochen
    Eisinger if he wants this addition before sane 1.0.3.

    A bug that should be fixed in my opinion before 1.0.3 is the NDEBUG handling
    in microtek.c. Compiling with NDEBUG defined results in a compilation error.
    I have emailed the maintainer weeks ago but haven't heard from him. Should I
    just apply the little patch (just an "#ifdef NDEBUG" somewhere)?

    It would be nice if we could have manpages for all backends. The README shows
    where manpages are missing. I will try to add standard manpages which point
    to further resources wherever possible.

    For the Mustek backend there will "only" be bug fixes until the next
    release. There are some bugs where I don't know yet if they are mustek.c ore
    sanei_scsi bugs e.g. segmentation faults when a device driver is not loaded
    and LANG is set.

    Bye,
      Henning