Re: How to support a scanner without documentation

From: Simon Edwards (simoned@eisa.net.au)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 14:57:00 PDT

    > 3) Windows spy programs: I could only find one such program. It's in the
    > aspisdk from Adaptec ("aspispy.exe"). This program connects to the ASPI
    > layer and records any ASPI commands sent to a device. That's nice, but
    > it doesn't seem to be able to print the buffers sent by drivers. Maybe
    > there are commercial solutions but I couldn't find information about
    > this type of program.
    > I don't know about parallel port and USB spies.

    Could I get that from you.

    > 4) Wrapper SCSI dll: I have written a small dll which wraps the Windows
    > winaspi.dll and sends all the SCSI commands and the beginnings of the
    > buffers to a text file. This was pretty helpful for supporting the
    > Mustek Paragon 1200 A3 Pro. It only works if the scanner driver can
    > connect to ASPI complient SCSI adapters and doesn't insist on their own
    > adapter. The wrapper dll is written in Delphi 1 and is for the 16 bit
    > winaspi.dll only (not wnaspi32.dll). If somebody is interested I can
    > email the dll and source code.

    ooh ooh, I want that too! This sounds better than 3). You've done well.

    > 5) Disassembling the Windows driver: I have never done this, other people
    > on this list may talk about this. I think it's a lot of work and needs
    > good understatement of assembler and the windows API.

    I had a go at disassembling the 'Mirascan.ds' driver that comes with my
    Acer 620ST. Haven't had too much success... Haven't had enough time. All
    I wanted to do was 'sniff' the SCSI bus and find out how the scanner is
    'warmed up'.

    Simon Edwards
    simon@simonzone.com