Re: Mustek 1200SP and AVA-1505/1515

From: rjtalbo (rjtalbo@ibm.net)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 08:50:31 PDT

    Kurt Savegnago wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I bought a Mustek scanner from compgeeks.com for $67.00 and have been
    > able
    > to get it to work with the cheap DTC card that came with it in
    > Winblows. I know about the inability of this card to work with sane
    > before I bought the scanner by reading the mustek document. To that end
    > I looked at the scsi compatibility and purchased a scsi card Adaptec
    > AVA-1515.
    >
    > I have Slack and am using kernel 2.2.16. I only have the scanner
    > connected
    > to the card and nothing else. The card has a bunch of jumpers on it and
    > I have it set up for IRQ9, DC00, bios disabled, disconnect and parity
    > disabled.
    > Winblows will recognize the card but the Winblows software won't load as
    > it says that ASPI2DOS.sys is missing. The Winblows side I don't care
    > about.
    > When I compiled the kernel with 152X support the card is not recognized
    > on
    > boot up. As I mentioned I only have the scanner connected to it and I
    > forgot to mention that I left the terminator resistors on the
    > controller.
    >
    > I am hoping beyond all hope that maybe someone out there has a
    > similar
    > setup and can point my nose in the right direction. When I fired up the
    > scanner under WinBlows I was somewhat struck as to the quality of the
    > scan. It took a little longer than an H-P 6300 but for $67.00 it is a
    > hell of
    > alot cheaper.
    >
    > I wonder if I bought the wrong scsi card?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Kurt Savegnago
    > ksaves2@theramp.net

    Kurt
    Hi.. I have used my Mustek 1200 LS with both the AHA 1520 & 1542 cards..
    Throw the mustek card away.. it does skip across a pond fairly well..but
    that is its limitation .. : )
     Compiling a card into a kernel does not insure that it will work..
    This simply makes the code available on boot.. The card must have
    parameters to pass to the kernel.. example i/o address 0x340...irq 11
    I do not compile my SCSI cards into the kernel but instead use modules...
     Try insmod to load your SCSI card w/ parameters to try it out...
    It should work...
    As I am working on as OS/2 laptop right now, and need to look at
    my LINUX box to see specs.. But I will email you again with my
    exact Insmod sequence to to load the modules and then if all works,
    the modules can then be set to load at boot...

    BobT