Re: Parallel Scanners (UMAX Astra 1220P)

From: Doug Alcorn (doug@lathi.net)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 07:14:37 PDT

    "Michael Franz" <mvfranz@hotmail.com> writes:

    > It seems that only the epson and mustek scanners are supported
    > either directly or by treating the scanner as a SCSI device. How do
    > I get started with the UMAX scanners?

    There are two pieces to using a scanner in Linux. First, the kernel
    must be able to communicate with the device. This is rarely a
    problem; even with USB scanners. The real problem comes with what
    sane calls the "backend". This is the piece that goes between the
    actual scanning user interface and the kernel itself. The backend
    must know how to control the scanner. This is different than just
    talking to the scanner.

    Here's the bad news: UMAX doesn't release the command protocol for
    controlling their parallel or USB scanners. I have the UMAX 2000U
    scanner. The developement kernels (2.3.x) can recognize the scanner,
    but sane has no idea what to say to it.

    You have two options. First, write a polite letter to UMAX requesting
    the scanner control information. This is probably a dead end. I have
    been doing this every so often for the last six months. The second is
    to reverse engineer the command language. I don't really know how to
    do this. I guess you would have to tap into the line (either USB or
    parallel cable) and sniff out what commands are sent under what
    situations. I think this would be very usefull (to me at least) but
    very difficult. Someone much smarter than me can comment on this.

    --
    Doug Alcorn    | Fire Todd Dickinson, reform the US Patent Office
    doug@lathi.net | http://www.andovernews.com/cgi-bin/news_column.pl?533