Re: Parallel Scanners (UMAX Astra 1220P)

From: Michael Franz (mvfranz@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 05:57:03 PDT

    Assuming that I did have the specifications (which I don't) where would I
    start?

    >From: Doug Alcorn <doug@lathi.net>
    >To: sane-devel@mostang.com
    >Subject: Re: Parallel Scanners (UMAX Astra 1220P)
    >Date: 07 Jun 2000 10:14:37 -0400
    >
    >"Michael Franz" <mvfranz@hotmail.com> writes:
    >
    > > It seems that only the epson and mustek scanners are supported
    > > either directly or by treating the scanner as a SCSI device. How do
    > > I get started with the UMAX scanners?
    >
    >There are two pieces to using a scanner in Linux. First, the kernel
    >must be able to communicate with the device. This is rarely a
    >problem; even with USB scanners. The real problem comes with what
    >sane calls the "backend". This is the piece that goes between the
    >actual scanning user interface and the kernel itself. The backend
    >must know how to control the scanner. This is different than just
    >talking to the scanner.

    O.K. How do I do this? I have tried the load module method, but since the
    UMAX is not supported I don't know if I was on the right path. I tried
    parport, ppSCSI, ppa,...

    >Here's the bad news: UMAX doesn't release the command protocol for
    >controlling their parallel or USB scanners. I have the UMAX 2000U
    >scanner. The developement kernels (2.3.x) can recognize the scanner,
    >but sane has no idea what to say to it.
    >
    >You have two options. First, write a polite letter to UMAX requesting
    >the scanner control information. This is probably a dead end. I have
    >been doing this every so often for the last six months. The second is
    >to reverse engineer the command language. I don't really know how to
    >do this. I guess you would have to tap into the line (either USB or
    >parallel cable) and sniff out what commands are sent under what
    >situations. I think this would be very usefull (to me at least) but
    >very difficult. Someone much smarter than me can comment on this.

    I tried to do this briefly, but the program I was using did seem to give me
    enough information. It told me that I was sending unsigned longs to the
    port, but not the value. The next thing I was going to try was to look at
    the actual drivers and see if they left anything in them.

    Any one have any tips on this? A good snooping program?