Re: Latest sane CVS, Epson GT7000 and xsane

From: khk@khk.net
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 18:19:36 PDT

    On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 07:19:43AM -0000, khk@khk.net wrote:
    > Dave Hill <dave@minnie.demon.co.uk> said:
    >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I just upgraded my copy of sane to the latest CVS version (as of
    > > 2000/06/05) and I think I have found a problem.
    > >
    > > Using xsane, when I do a preview scan, the bottom of the image
    > > is truncated (shows as white).
    > >
    > > When I do a scan to a pnm file, the file is incomplete, Image
    > > Magick says "display: not enough pixels (out.pnm)." and Gimp
    > > is unable to load the image.
    > >
    > > If I use xscanimage, all is OK!
    >
    > [ ... ]
    >
    > > I presume that the problem is in the Epson backend - Karl,
    > > have you seen this problem?
    > >

    > No, I have not. Otherwise I would not have uploaded the new
    > stuff to the CVS server. I am not using the PNM format to
    > store my images, if I use xsane directly (not as a Gimp
    > plugin) then I use TIFF.
    >
    > I'll check tonight if this shows up on my system as well.

    OK, I did check and you are right, there is something wrong.
    It does show up on my Perfection610, but the Perfection1200
    does fine. Also, when I store as TIFF then everything's fine.

    The effect on the Perfection610 is not a bug, it's a feature :-)
    Some background: This scanner does send the three color channels
    in the order it scans them - there is a shift between the three
    channels. I have to "re-shuffle" these lines to get rid of this
    shift. To get rid of some artifacts at the beginning and the end
    of the scan I have to modify the scan area. This works fine as
    long as there is room to increase the scan area: This is of course
    not possible when you are scanning the whole page.

    I do however not understand why this shows up with the GT-7000
    (If I remember correctly, this is the Perfection636). Do you
    have the SCSI or the USB version?

    Karl Heinz