Re: Correct Network Scanner Syntax? (a question)

From: John Fremlin (vii@penguinpowered.com)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 14:48:34 PDT

    abel deuring <a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de> writes:
    [...]
    > Yes and no. As Oliver wrote in his response to your mail, the USB/SCSI
    > converter or driver (or however it is called) limits the buffer size to
    > 32 kB, because it does not support scatter/gather. We can live with this
    > limit, but since the Microtek backend uses sanei_scsi_open, users must
    > either set SANE_SG_BUFFERSIZE, or if they install Sane from the sources,
    > they must use the configure option --enable-scsibuffersize in order to
    > get a "SCSI via USB" scanner running.
    >
    > What I tried to point out is, that this inconvenience of a "special
    > SCSI/USB configuration" (what a big word for an environment variable...)
    > can be avoided, if a backend uses sanei_scsi_open_extended instead of
    > sanei_scsi_open. Using the latter function, a backend can easily adapt
    > to any available buffer size. This way, things would be a little bit
    > easier for a Linux newbie to get his/her SCSI-over-USB scanner working.

    Sorry, I too got the wrong idea. I forgot about this limit (as it had
    nothing to do with my trivial reasons for making the hack). I agree
    completely. However, the microtek2 maintainer has disappeared, so
    someone else has to make the change. Is it acceptable for Oliver or I
    to submit a patch that would support the microtek2 USB scanners
    cleanly? (I.e. would it be commited to CVS?)

    --

    http://altern.org/vii