Correct Network Scanner Syntax?

From: William (Andy) Smith (romaq@members.limitless.org)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 00:51:47 PDT

    Works fine:
    scanimage -d microtek2:/dev/scanner > test.image

    I have both /etc/sane.d/sane.conf and net.conf accepting localhost per the
    directions.

    Fails (RPC Call cannot allocate memory)
    scanimage -d net:localhost:microtek2:/dev/scanner > test.image

    I have 32 meg of memory on a 486. The goal is to have the fewest
    resources possible tied up with doing the scanning since parport virtually
    shuts the machine down for the duration of the scan. inet.conf and
    services files are configured per the documentation.

    1) Is my syntax correct for invoking sane-net on a localhost? (theory is
    if I can't make it happen on the localhost, I can't make it happen over
    the LAN)

    2) I could get it to scan on 16Meg, same results and errors, why does the
    RPC call fail to allocate enough memory since I doubled it?

    3) Once properly configured and tested, how do I have xscanimage to try
    the network scanner rather than failing for no-scanner-found?

    Thank you.