Re: Test for S20 support

From: Peter Daum (gator@cs.tu-berlin.de)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 12:12:28 PDT

    On Fri, 19 May 2000, Peter Kirchgessner wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > rumours say, that HPs S20 photo scanner supports SCL, but the firmware
    > must be loaded from disk first. Is there someone on the list who has
    >
    > a) a S20 scanner
    > b) another working USB scanner under Linux
    >
    > to do some tests ? Boot windows and initialize the S20. Reboot to Linux
    > without
    > switching off the scanner and try SANE with the HP-backend on the S20.
    > I would be interested if that is working. Could be a first step to
    > support the S20.

    Hi,

    I have a S20, but no other USB scanner - I can't tell whether I
    set things up correctly. Here's what I did:

      modprobe usbcore
      modprobe usb-uhci
      insmod /lib/modules/current/misc/scanner.o vender=0x03f0 product=0x0102
      mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb

    hp.conf says:
      /dev/usb/usbscanner0
         option connect-device

    the device file:
      crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 180, 48 Mar 17 19:47 /dev/usb/usbscanner0

    When I now try to start xsane or xscanimage, it will hang for
    about a minute, eating all available CPU time. The syslog says:

      swamp kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
      swamp kernel: scanner.c: read_scanner(0): NAK received

    When I unload the scanner module, xsane works as usual again
    (I also have a UMAX SCSI scanner)

    Regards,
                 Peter

    --