Philips scanner on Unixware

From: Marcel Pol (mpol@gmx.net)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 02:41:30 PDT

    Hello,

    A friend of mine owns a parport scanner, a Philips.
    We did not really try yet to set it up, but we would like to.
    Is there someone who knows something about the support-status of Philips
    scanners.
    Philips doesn't make scanners anymore, but they did it a few years ago.

    There is no Philips backend, but it could be supported by another backend.

    It's a parport model, and it uses the OnSpec 90c26, which is supported by the
    kernel.
    Under Windows it says something about SimpleScsi, which sounds to me like it
    uses a scsi protocol (which is required for a parport model).
    However, the two Microtek (1 & 2) scanners I know use the same chip, but on the
    scanner side there is a 50 pin connection, where this Philips scanner has 25
    pins (with a quick look).

    There is another thing also, at the moment there is Linux installed, but it
    might be nice to have it run under Unixware 7.
    There is a readme about it.
    I'm just wondering if Unixware can support such a parport scanner, or just scsi
    scanners.

    Thanks already for reply.