Problem with SANE 1.0.2

From: Mike Francis (mikhul1@emirates.net.ae)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 05:47:14 PDT

    Hi - I have just installed SANE 1.0.2 from a tarball. The install seemed to go
    OK - at least no problems were reported. I did the usual ./configure,
    make, make install routine. However, when I type 'scanimage --list-devices'
    the disk spins and then I'm returned to the prompt with no devices showing -
    not even the defaults fictional devices. Running 'scanimage --test' reports
    that no devices have been found. Also tried to link xscanimage with GIMP but
    then nothing can be found also. I have a HP Scanjet 5p linked up and switched
    on. Could someone let me know if I've missed something out here??
    Many thanks,
    Mike