Re: problems with Canon scanner

From: Robin Kirkham (Robin.Kirkham@cmst.csiro.au)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 21:15:11 PDT

    On Sunday, 30 April 2000, Douglas Gilbert wrote:

    > Herman Roozenbeek wrote:
    > >
    > > I have a Canon CanoScan 300 scanner. With Sane 1.0.1 everything worked fine
    > > But now I have upgraded to 1.0.2 and I can't get my scanner working.
    > > As far as I can tell, the error occurs in "GET SCAN MODE".
    >
    > Herman,
    > The problem is with that command which seems like a vendor
    > special. The sg driver probably incorrectly guesses the
    > length of that command.
    >
    > Since that is a recent Linux kernel the Canon backend could
    > take advantage of the SG_NEXT_CMD_LEN ioctl to override the
    > length of the problematic command.
    >
    > Alernatively you could go to the Canon backend web site and
    > hack the sg driver as suggested. [This is ugly.]

    Is this problem really a bug in the current SANE canon backend
    or is it a bug in the Linux sg driver?

    I had been led to believe it was the latter, but ...

    [Sorry for the cross-posting but it seems appropriate].

    Robin Kirkham CSIRO Manufacturing Science and Technology
    Project Engineer Locked Bag 9, Preston 3072, Australia
    robin.kirkham@cmst.csiro.au Phone: +61 3 9662-7756 Fax: +61 3 9662-7853