Oh so close to getting an HP4200C working over USB

From: Tim Bartley (tbartley@austin.rr.com)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 20:53:09 PDT

    After checking to see what had a decent level of support on Linux today
    my new HP4200C scanner arrived so I'm trying to set it up. I have it
    connected via the USB to my machine (x86). I'm running linux-2.3.99-pre6
    so I have the most recent USB code. I've downloaded SANE 1.0.2 and
    compiled and installed it.

    When I run xsane or xcanimage they always crash - gdb shows that they
    are in sanei_hp_scsi_new. It was crashing in the umax backend in the
    equivalent place until I hid the shared library (and then tamarak etc).

    This is my first venture into SANE (indeed this is the first scanner
    I've owned) I really don't know what's going on but I guess it's some
    problem with the SANE configuration.

    I don't think it's a problem with my USB configuration since the USB
    tools (e.g. lsusb) list the scanner appropriately and I can run the
    hp_scan test program that comes with the USB scanner driver. This
    appears to run successfully - when it starts the scanner appears to scan
    and I get a substantial output file that the USB scanner driver
    documentation says contins the raw scanned image.

    Some things I've tried:

      Leaving only hp in /usr/etc/sane.d/dll.conf

      Having a /usr/etc/sane.d/hp.conf with the lines:

        connect-device
        /dev/scanner

      and also with the lines the other way around.

    /dev/scanner is a softlink to the real device which has permissions 666.

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong or what the
    best way to go about diagnosing the problem might be?

    Thanks for any help,

    Tim Bartley.