Scanning Resolutions

From: Torsten Howard (torsten@inetw.net)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 15:29:06 PST

    Hello,

    I have a general scanning question.

    If I scan an 8.5x11 sheet of paper at 72dpi and scale by 190%, I get an image approximately 1160x1500. This compresses to 50kb using .png format, which is fine. I did this under Windows.

    Now, under linux, sane does not support scaling by XX%. So, I can scan at 120dpi giving me an image that is ~1020x1320, which also compresses to ~50kb using .png format.

    Note that the picture size was chosen each time to fit the width of my laptop screen, which is 1024 pixels, with the margins of the scanned picture cut off. I also tried scaling with a software filter, and it sucked rotten eggs.

    So, what do I gain/lose by using hardware scaling vs. resolution scaling?

    Thanks,
    Torsten