Re: Can thumbnails be included in jpeg images generated by xsane?

From: Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 05:29:58 PST

    On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 08:04:02PM -0800, Stephen Williams wrote:
    > In the first APP0 marker there are Xthumbnail and Ythumbnail fields to
    > specify the dimensions of the thumbnail. That is then followed by
    > 3*X*Y bytes of RGB thumbnail data.

    Oops, my mistake. He's quite right - page 6 of JFIF 1.02 specifies an
    Xthumbnail and Ythumbnail, and IJG complain elsewhere that Potatoshop
    puts an enormous "thumbnail" image in APP0 by default. There are also
    two pages devoted to wacky stuff like GIF-style previews for JPEG
    images, no wonder I put this stuff to the back of my mind :)

    Well, Gimp doesn't support that feature anyway, so the fact remains
    that to get Gimp to see thumbnails they have to be in .xvpics.

    Nick.