Re: SCSI or USB

From: Doug Alcorn (doug@lathi.net)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 12:37:00 PST

    Karl Heinz Kremer <khk@khk.net> writes:

    > I mentioned that the SuSE version you are using does not
    > have support for USB scanners. If you can compile a kernel
    > it is no big problem to get the latest version of the USB
    > subsystem and do it yourself. If you think you need some
    > assistence, please send me a private email (You would not
    > be the first one whom I walk through the kernel build
    > process via email).

    I don't know how many of you guys know this, but the kernel 2.3.x tree
    is nearing release to 2.4.0. In fact, I think 2.3.99 (the last before
    2.4.0) is in the works right now. I base this off of traffic from the
    linux-usb mailing list. They are working as if there was an eminent
    release. I haven't heard from Linus myself, but they are talking like
    it will be just a few weeks.

    All that to say that the usb-scanner support in 2.4 should be pretty
    good. Of course, as this thread has already covered, I know that sane
    backends need to be developed (where than can) for the usb scanners.

    --
    Doug Alcorn    | Fire Todd Dickinson, reform the US Patent Office
    doug@lathi.net | http://www.andovernews.com/cgi-bin/news_column.pl?533