Re: sane-1.0.2 libsane.so broken in Solaris

From: William L. Sebok (wls@astro.umd.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 15:34:21 PST

    I said:
    > Solaris does not have /etc/ld.so.conf (nor ldconfig). Instead it uses
    > a Run Path linked into each binary.

    Steve Williams replied:
    > From what I recall, yes it does have an /etc/ld.so.cache or something
    > similar.

    No it doesn't.

            ea% uname -a
            SunOS earth 5.6 Generic_105181-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
            ea% ls -l /etc/ld.so.conf
            /etc/ld.so.conf: No such file or directory

    There is also no equivalent of /etc/ld.so.conf.

    > And there is something like an ldconfig command.

    No here also.

            ea% which ldconfig
            ldconfig: Command not found.
            ea% man ldconfig
            No manual entry for ldconfig.

    There also is no equivalent of ldconfig.

    From the Solaris answerbook (Solaris Transition Guide):

    Table 98 - Commands Reference Table (Continued)
      SunOS Release 4.x SunOS release 5.7 Alternative Available and Notes BSD
        Command Status
      ldconfig(8) N

    Sunos 4 had ldconfig but this was dropped in in Sunos 5.X aka Solaris 2.X.
    I don't believe that either had a /etc/ld.so.conf (my last Sunos 4 machine is
    long broken, making it hard to check).

    > And in any case, the LD_RUN_PATH can override th compiled in
    > path.

    No. You must be thinking of LD_LIBRARY_PATH which overrides the compiled in
    library path. LD_RUN_PATH is used during linking and compiles in a run path.
    The -R flags if present during linking (syntax like the -L flags) also causes a
    run path to be compiled in and overriding any effect of an LD_RUN_PATH
    environment. Use of -R flags are the normal way for a program to find its
    shared libraries if they aren't /usr/lib. Use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH is normally
    considered evil except in special circumstances, possibly making programs find
    the wrong libraries.

    This is all described in "man ld".

    Bill Sebok Computer Software Manager, Univ. of Maryland, Astronomy
            Internet: wls@astro.umd.edu URL: http://www.astro.umd.edu/~wls/