Preliminary SANE support for the Artec AS6E.

From: Eugene Weiss (eweiss@sas.upenn.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 14:45:31 PST

    I've written a preliminary backend for the Artec AS6E parallel port scanner.
    It works by communicating with a stand-alone program (as6edriver) through
    pipes. I'm distributing it currently as a patch against the SANE version 1.0.2
    source code, which is included in the as6edriver source package:
    http://download.sourceforge.net/as6edriver/as6edriver-0.4.tar.gz

    For anyone who doesn't want to bother with a patch, the SANE files can be found
    in whole form at:
    http://download.sourceforge.net/as6edriver/sane-as6e-040-files.tar.gz

    It's very alpha at this point, but it works quite well with scanimage,
    xscanimage, and xsane. I haven't tried it with saned yet, but I will. The
    as6edriver program is Linux specific, but it could be ported to *BSD for the
    i386 architecture without too much difficulty. Other hardware platforms would
    probably be more challenging. I've never actually encountered technical
    information on non-PC parallel ports on the net (which doesn't mean it doesn't
    exist). I'd certainly be happy to work with anyone who wants to port it.

    The project homepage is http://as6edriver.sourceforge.net

    Eugene Weiss