Re: UMAX 2200 (SU)

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 00:16:16 PST

    Frédéric VIGIER wrote:

    > Thank you Oliver,
    >
    > I have a adaptec 2930 U (pci) witch must be supported by linux (RedHat
    > 6.1). You think it'ok ?
    > When I look to the scanner's list, I can see that most of UMAX are
    > support.
    > The 2200 is a 42 bits scan. How does it works with linux, can we get 32
    > bit colors pictures ?

    Hi Frederic,

    The Astra 2200 is not a 42 bit scanner, the maximum bit depth it can create is 36 bpp (color)
    or 12 bpp (gray). It normally does not make sense to produce images with more than 24 bpp/8bpp.

    But you get the advantages of the 36 bits, because if you scan with a gamma/birghtness/contrast value
    (and enable scanner (custom) gamma table) you scan with 36 bpp and the gamma-transformations
    creates a 24 bpp image from it. This way the full 24 bit range is always used. If you have a 24 bpp scanner
    and you do gamma correction you reduce the number of used colors.

    The umax backend and xsane are prepared to create images with up to 48 bpp, but there can
    still occur problems with bit depth greater than 24bpp/8bpp.

    Bye
    Oliver

    --
    Homepage:       http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch