Re: sane: UMAX Astra 2200 SCSI problems

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 10:38:49 PST

    "Kenneth E. Harker" wrote:

    > a) How would I be able to tell if the scanner is really broken? I do
    > not run Windows at all, and my Macintosh is pre-Power-PC, so the software
    > it came with won't help me.

    I don`t think that it is a problem of the scanner. It is a known problem caused by
    termination, cable or scsi-driver problems.

    > b) Could this be something like active termination vs. passive
    > termination on the SCSI bus? The scanner is obviously using passive
    > termination.

    The scanner does not do any termination. You mean the termination that came with
    the scanner? That is a passive one. If you work with a fast scsi card that should be ok,
    for an ultra scsi card you should use an active one.

    > c) Do I need to terminate the "internal" 50-pin connector on the
    > SCSI card if I don't have a hard disk or CD-ROM drive on it? How would I
    > do that?

    YES, YOU NEED TO!

    Normally there are jumpers or resistor arrays on the scsi card or the termination
    can be activated via the bios. Some cards automatically activate the termination
    but you really have to make sure it is terminated!!!

    > Any other ideas to get this working?
    >
    > d) and on another note - there's no power button on this thing, and
    > the scanning bulb stays lit _all_ the time. Is that normal?

    The driver is responsible to turn out the light for the astra 2200, but I don`t have
    the command sequence for that.

    In the moment: pull the power connector to turn off the scanner.

    It also may be a problem of the scsi driver of your scsi cards.
    Lots of 1.x.x kernels had buggy scsi drivers. The 2.2.x kernel should be ok
    for the most scsi cards, so the 2.3.x also should be ok. But when the scsi card is a
    new product the driver may also be new and buggy.

    Bye
    Oliver

    --
    Homepage:       http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch