Re: xsane as root

From: Jesper Anderson (jesper@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 00:44:22 PST

    On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 07:32:43PM +0100, Oliver Rauch wrote:
    > Jesper Anderson wrote:
    >
    > > > I think if you run everything as root you do not see the advantages
    > > > of a unix system.
    > >
    > > So do I. What does that have to do with this?
    > >

    > That is what I say, you do not see the advantages. One of the most
    > important thing is that system files and private files are save from
    > (other) users. This is one reason why windows is so instable and a
    > virus can simply make bad things.

    You misread me. I see the advantages, and I agree with you on that
    running Linux as root is a very bad thing.

    My point is, none of us can change the world. The only result you will
    get from making xsane not run as root is _more_ irrelevant email. It
    won't fix the problem you have. If people want to hang themselves,
    they will, and neither you or me can stop them. After all, most people
    still run Windows, which is even worse than running Linux as root.

    The only way to stop the flow of emails from people that have problems
    when running xsane as root is to find out what is causing those
    problems, and fix it. What kind of problems are there when running it
    as root, btw? I don't think I've read about that.

    Jesper

    -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759