Re: Feedback from Epson Users Requested (... and USB Support Announcement)

From: Karl Heinz Kremer (khk@khk.net)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 07:05:44 PST

    On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 11:47:29AM +0000, Dave Hill wrote:
    > There is a problem with Xsane to do with the resolution
    > selection - this was also present in 0.1.3.

    This time you came to late :-) It's already fixed in the
    CVS version.

    > The problem is that this extra code forces the actual
    > resolution to change by one value no matter what you put in,
    > whereas in xsane, if you are using the "resolution list", you
    > can go from say 75 dpi to 600 dpi in one click. Very strange
    > things happen when you do this (watch the image size!).

    Yes, I was very surprised when I selected a 600 or 1200 dpi
    resolution and xsane reported that my image would fit into
    50KB...

    > To fix this, I #ifdef'ed (is that a verb?) out the extra code

    If you say this is a verb, who am I to dispute that? :-)

    > and xsane works. However, it needs more investigation. Is there
    > a way that the actual list of device preferred resolutions
    > could be used to construct the xsane resolution list?

    You mean the way it's handled in xscanimage? Oliver, are you
    listening?

    But even without this change in xsane it will now work fine with
    the Epson backend. I've not removed the "extra code" that Christian
    put in, but I'm not running it when the requested resolution is
    in the list of resolutions the scanner reports.

    Karl Heinz