Re: Feedback from Epson Users Requested (... and USB Support Announcement)

From: Dave Hill (dave@minnie.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 03:47:29 PST

    Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:

    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I'm looking for some feedback (1) regarding the Epson backend
    > and I'm also looking for some more USB users (2).

    Hi Karl

    I sent a message last Wednesday, but it hasn't been reflected
    by the list - it must have got stuck somewhere.

    As far as Epson stuff is concerned, I noticed the problem
    with xscanimage segfaulting. I was going to investigate but
    apparently Oliver has helped you with this.

    There is a problem with Xsane to do with the resolution
    selection - this was also present in 0.1.3.

    The problem is caused by some extra code that Christian
    inserted into the backend to help the xscanimage resolution
    slider more accurately track the actual list of scanner
    resolutions.

    The problem is that this extra code forces the actual
    resolution to change by one value no matter what you put in,
    whereas in xsane, if you are using the "resolution list", you
    can go from say 75 dpi to 600 dpi in one click. Very strange
    things happen when you do this (watch the image size!).

    To fix this, I #ifdef'ed (is that a verb?) out the extra code
    and xsane works. However, it needs more investigation. Is there
    a way that the actual list of device preferred resolutions
    could be used to construct the xsane resolution list?

    Dave Hill

    --
    Dave Hill, Kempston, Bedford UK		dave@minnie.demon.co.uk
    Sicth munce ago, I cutn't evun spel enjuneer, and now I are one!

    --- backend/epson.c.106 Sun Jan 23 14:50:57 2000 +++ backend/epson.c Wed Jan 26 20:25:15 2000 @@ -2321,6 +2321,7 @@ } } +#if 0 /* // problem: does not reach all values cause of scroll bar resolution. */ @@ -2339,6 +2340,7 @@ best = s->hw->res_list[ f - 1]; } } +#endif *last = best; s->val[ option].w = ( SANE_Word) best;