Re: Phantom 636cx and microtek2

From: Bernd Schroeder (bernd@aquila.muc.de)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 07:29:10 PST

    On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 09:27:47AM +0100, Levente NOVAK wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, Bernd Schroeder wrote:
    >

    > > > Finally, I discovered that while mirroring is solved for the
    > > > scanned image and the previews, there is a little problem
    > > > remaining: if the area to scan is at the upper left part of the
    > > > scanner's window, I have to mark the upper right part to have the
    > > > desired area scanned! So the selected area in xsane or xscanimage
    > > > is still mirrored while the image itself is not anymore. I
    > > > suppose the upper-left and lower-right coordinates which delimit
    > > > this area are not recalculated by the backend while the image and
    > > > the preview are mirrored.
    > >
    > > Looks as if this scanning direction 'right to left' has more implications
    > > than its looks at first sight. I have uploaded a new version of the
    > > backend to
    > >
    > > ftp://ftp.muc.de/people/bernds/mtek2/microtek2-pre0.9.020100.tar.gz ,
    > >
    > > which should at least fix this problem.
    > >

    > I have tested the new backend, here is the report:
    >
    > - mirroring is now OK even in the preview window
    >
    > - when backend-calibration is on, there are still crashes. I discovered
    > that these always occur if there was no preview scan with backend-
    > calibration on, while (most of the time) there is no crash when I do
    > a preview scan with calib on. I did not test the previous version
    > (0.8), but I suppose it had to have the same behaviour.

    Sometimes the device indicates that no calibration is necessary, which is
    probably the reason why it does not always crash and is independent of
    whether it is a preview or normal scan.

    > - now something surprising: images scanned with calibration are
    > worse than those scanned without, as they have a strong blue tint!
    > Effectively, scanning a white sheet of paper and looking at the
    > histograms shows that while R and G histograms are very close to
    > each other, the blue histogram is markedly shifted towards brighter
    > intensities. Without backend-calibration, the left-to-right order
    > of the three histograms is different, but clearly there is no such
    > a shift in respect to blue channel. I haven't had time to retest
    > with previous backend release, but do not remember having a
    > similar result with it. Did you change something inbetween?

    No, nothing, because as I wrote, at present I do not know how to
    change the behaviour.

    > Finally, I am very interested to know how did you trace the commands sent
    > by the twain driver with scantest.exe? If I could do the same, maybe it
    > would be easier to find what is the trick of the driver under Windows.
    > Unfortunately, I was unable to get my scanner recognised with recent
    > releases of WINE, while the version shipped with Debian Slink (2.1) did
    > the job, but then scanimage.exe crashed right after. Maybe it is important
    > to mention that I used Windows 3.1 (and the 16 bit version of the drivers

    No, I cannot tell you how get it working under wine. I just tried it,
    but the 16bit ASPI layer does not work for me. Normally it is sufficient
    to just call 'wine scantest' (plus tracing enabled).

    Bernd

    --
    Bernd Schroeder
    Email: mailto:bernd@aquila.muc.de