Re: opening the mustek SE12000P: is says a4s2 all over!

From: Donnchadh Ó Donnabháin (d_odonnabhain@vistech.ie)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 06:10:20 PST

Paulo Abreu wrote:

> I really don't know how to find information about the chips on the windows
> drivers. I've tried dissassembling the vxd file and some dll on the twain32
> dir, but couldn't find info on that.
>
> And I can't tell if the cable has a chip or not. It sure looks like a plain
> parallel cable to me. I have a laplink cable that I've tried to use and
> didn't work, but it really doesn't mean much: perhaps there's no chip in
> the cable and it's simply a null parallel cable, or whatever it is called.
>
> I'd sure like to find out the differences between my ASIC chip (0xA2) and
> the ones supported by the musteka4s2 backend: the 0xA5 and 0xA8. Do you
> have any links on this kind of chips?

 I have a ScanExpress 12000P. I'm pretty sure there isn't a chip in the
cable. The low-level communication protocol is the same as for the
 600 III EP Plus but it seems to use different registers. It uses
different methods to control the motor and lamp. I have disassembled the
 VxD and wrote some simple code to switch the lamp on/off, detect
whether
the cover is up/down, move the scanning head back to its home position
 and check if the scanning head is in its home position.
 I tried to contact Mustek in Taiwan but I have never received a reply.
I had a look a Jeff's backend and therre's a lot of work there. I
imagine
 the 1505 ASIC used in the SE12000P works in a similar way so I'll study
the
musteka4s2 backend to see if I can translate stepper motor control, etc
 the SE12000P.
 Jeff, is it possible to get contact details for the Software Manager at
 Mustek you mention on your page? If we can get information on the
SE12000P
from Mustek it should be a relatively simple matter to extend the
musteka4s2
 backend.

    Donnchadh

--