Re: Volunteer for back end development - excellent info in this msg

Adrian Perez Jorge (adrianpj@easynews.com)
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 12:54:11 -0800

<dnelson@jump.net>

>I think that when the 4200 is plugged in, the device driver should take it
>out of transparency mode (if the above works w/ regards to taking it out
>of xparency mode). The only difference between the 9830 and 9831 is the
>interface method so the backend should not care. If a backend were to be
>developed, this difference should be hidden, don't you think?
>
>Regards,
> /\/elson

But 9830 and 9831 differs not only in the interface method. The
latest includes new (some) features, but of course, they are similiar
enought to make a single backend. Maybe the backend should have some
option that tells what chipset is being used to take advantage of the
new features (automatic detection?).

About transparency mode, yes I think it's a good idea to switch
off transparency mode at device driver level.

Well, I forgot it in my last e-mail; here is the initialization table
I mention:

registers initialization value

08-0F 02 1A 00 0A 60 2F 13 06
10-17 17 01 03 03 05 00 00 0B
18-1F 00 00 00 00 0D 21 00 40
20-27 15 18 00 40 02 98 00 00
28-2F 00 01 00 00 3F FF 00 01
30-37 00 00 00 00 00 20 00 30
38-3F 25 25 24 28 24 28 00 00
40-47 00 00 06 1D 00 13 05 48
48-4F 01 C2 00 00 00 00 5E 02
50-57 00 15 00 45 00 10 08 17
58-5F 2B 90 00 00 01 00 80 00

At least those registers are modified by the driver:

1E, 1F
22-25
42 : operation is an ``and 0xfe''
59 : operations are ``and 0x7f'' (ResetPushButton() function)
``or 0x80'' (ResetPushButton() function)
``or 0x90'' (InitialButton() function)

Adrian Perez Jorge
<adrianpj@easynews.com>