Volunteer for back end development - excellent info in this msg

David E. Nelson (dnelson@jump.net)
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 16:32:48 -0600 (CST)

Hi Mathew,

I really dropped the ball on this one. I had hoped to 'experiment' with
my 4200 using the pdf docs from NatSemi...just havn't had time to sit down
with it. I've forward this to the sane-devel list since that should be
the best source for developers. I did ask Peter if he could recommend
anyone and noone came to his mind.

Regards,
/\/elson

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:23:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Mathew sienko x7439 <msienko@galaxy.nsc.com>
To: linux-usb@suse.com
Cc: Fred Hamilton x6010 <Fred.Hamilton@nsc.com>
Subject: Re: [linux-usb] HP4200c,working?

Hi Everyone,

I am one of the designers of the chip that is at the heart of the HP
4200c and would like to mention a few things about it here. As mentioned,
this scanner does not use SCL. Instead, it uses its own, custom,
protocall defined by the chip it is built around, the LM9830. This is the
first Merlin chip from National Semiconductor. We used a custom interface
because SCL would have required more expensive parts. We just released
the LM9831, and will soon release the LM9832, which all both use an
interface very similar to the LM9830. Scanners based on these chips will
soon be for sale from many different vendors, not just HP. If you like,
you can find out more information about Merlin at
http://connect.to/merlin.
Although we are not officially supporting linux, I am trying to get a
linux driver together for our chips. It looks like the USB portion of the
kernel is working, so what is really needed is a SANE back-end. If
anybody is interested in helping with this, please let me know. I have
access to the TWAIN driver code for windows and all the internal details
of the chips, so there is no need to reverse engineer anything. I really
don't have much experience programming this kind of thing, so I would
really appreciate any help from anyone who does.

Matt Sienko
msienko@galaxy.nsc.com