Re: Microtek Pagewizard support?

marcel pol (mpol@gmx.net)
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 23:32:04 -0000 (/etc/localtime

Hello,

Bernd Schroeder wrote:
> I have uploaded an experimental version of the backend to
> ftp://ftp.muc.de/people/bernds/mtek2/microtek2.pwtest.c.gz
> You will have to unzip this file and copy it over the old microtek2.c file,
> and then recompile and reinstall sane. The backend will then print
> the scanner attributes to stderr, if 'option dump 1' is set in the
> configuration file microtek2.conf or it will possibly hang your system.

I do not know if I have done this the right way, so tell me if not.
I placed the sourses of SANE in /usr/src/packages/SOURCES, those were
the sources from the SANE homepage, version 1.0.1.

I gave the command "tar xvzf /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/sane-1.0.1.tar.gz".
This command extracted the sources to /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/sane-1.0.1/.
I gave the command "cd /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/sane-1.0.1"
I gave the command "make".
This command compiled.
I gave the command "make install".
This command installed.

That succeeded and I copied the test-file over the old microtek2.c file and ran
"make" and "make install" again.

> One strange thing is the model code 0x53. This is in the range of model
> codes that are supported by the microtek backend. On the other hand
> the microtek2 backend should have terminated with a different error message
> if the SCSI version was not SCSI-2.

I have asked Microtek if I could use an alternative driver of a scanner that is
supported and I sent them the names from the list of supported scanners of the
SANE homepage.
They said that would not be possible, because those scanners are all flatbed
scanners, and mine is a page scanner. It needs a very different driver.

I used SANE 1.00 with the microtek2 backend 0.5. This was installed as a SuSE
LiNUX RPM package.
I use now SANE 1.0.1 with the microtek2 backend 0.6.
A lot of files were installed at a different place. I deleted the old files,
for example /etc/sane.d/ and made links to the new installed files like
/usr/local/etc/dane.d.

'option dump 2' in the microtek2.conf file is set.

With the command "scanimage --list-devices I get amongst a lot of garbage:

[microtek2] dump_area: inquiryresult

0 .1#.[...
16 Scanner 300S
32 1.30SCSI F/WV3.4
48 CTL5380 .O....e.

With the command "scanimage -d microtek2:/dev/sg2 I get the same.

I hope this says someting to you.

I would like to be able to write the output to a file. I tried it with the
command "scanimage --list-devices > mtek" but it didn't work. I also tried the
commands "scanimage > mtek" and "scanimage > 1 & 2 mtek.
I do not know the right command for this.

Marcel Pol