Re: Can a scanner be faster on Windows 98 than on Linux?

Eduardo Mazoni Andrade Marcal Mendes (mendes@mgconecta.com.br)
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 16:35:33 -0200

Oliver Rauch wrote:

> Eduardo Mazoni Andrade Marcal Mendes wrote:
>
> > Hello
> > I have been struggling to get my old UMax T-630 to work with sane
> > for almost six months. I decided
> > to start from scratch again just to see if I can find the missing
> > point. As usual there is a very simple
> > question that is getting in the way:
> > Why my scanner works fine and fast with Adobe Photoshop
> > 3.05-VistaScan 2.30 on Windows 98? When
> > I switch to caldera 2.3-sane-1.0.1 is a completely different story: i)
> > the scanner scans with tiny steps
> > (so tiny that I can go for lunch and the thingy is still going) and ii)
> > crashes with error messages at the
> > end of the whole scanning process (that is, no image). What is going on?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Ed
> >

> Hi Ed,
>
> please try the new umax driver from my homepage!

Hi Oliver
Greetings.
What do you mean? The new xsane-0.39? If so I have just compiled and run
it. It didn't work:
I/O device error. In some way it is worse than using xscanimage: the scanning
process crashes
it starts again. I need to click cancel to stop it. Once I do that and leave
xsane, there is a segmentation
fault message. I am using Col 2.3 and have not wrecked the kernel yet.
I remeber that once you sent me a "debug" command (something like
xscanimage 2>1 &) . Is there
any log file for xsane?

Many thanks

Ed