Re: Microtek E3 crashes...

John Craig (jcraig@water.agen.ufl.edu)
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 20:28:53 -0400

Hi,

Replying to my own message, because I got part of the problem solved. Still
would like to get pointers on solving the rest of it.....

John Craig wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie to the list and have recently tried to get SANE set up on
> my Linux 2.2.12 laptop. I use a New Media pcmcia Bus Toaster SCSI card.
> It has 2 additional devices, a Zip and a Jaz drive, with the Jaz drive
> providing termination (that's the ony way the Jaz likes it).
>
> First problem, the scanner is recognized by scanimage -L when executed
> by root, but not by a user. I did as the sane-scsi man page suggested --
> created a group scanner, and added the user to the group, and gave the
> /dev/sg* devices rw permissions to user and group (660) as well as
> ownership by root and group scanner. What else could be wrong so that a
> user can't access it?

Actually, the first problem is solved now. I can crash the computer as
either root or user.

> Next problem, when I run xscanimage as root, the user interface comes
> up, and when I try to scan something, the scanner makes a few moves,
> like it was preparing to scan, and then locks up the machine. I had to
> turn off the power and reboot. When you click the button to get
> information about the scanner it correctly reports it
> (microtek:/dev/sgc). I tried this using StarOffice 5.1 as the front end,
> and the exact same results occur. The maching hangs on scanning or
> previewing.
>
> Any ideas about where to proceed here? How do I set up the file
> interfaces (pnm) to see if the front ends are operating correctly? Also,
> since the machine freezes in the process, I can't really get debug
> information, unless it is written to a file. Is there a way to do that,
> so I can retrieve the file after a crash to see what happened?

Anyone have experience with the Bus Toaster SCSI card?

It uses a Symbios sym53c500_cs driver .