Re: Machine lock-ups while scanning. HP scanjet 5P/BusLogic Flashpoint

Cooper (Cooper@Linuxfan.com)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:15:37 -0100

Brian Macy wrote:

> Cooper wrote:
> >
> > > I have a machine with both a Buslogic 930LT and a 950, any attempt to use the
> > > 930 locks up the machine tight. I have never been able to resolv this problem
> > > with over a year of trying, yet the 950 (Ultra wide) which the drives are
> > > connected to works fine.
> >
> > But don't you think it's weird that I can do several scans before it
> > locks up (then it's 3, then it's 30, but it always does eventually) and
> > yet no other device on the SCSI bus has a problem?
> > Writing CD's at 8-speed without any complaints, heavy datatransfers from
> > CD to harddisk aren't a problem either.
> > It's *ONLY* happening when scanning.
> >
> > Basically you're saying that I should bring this issue up with the
> > developer of the SCSI driver for my adapter or get myself a new SCSI
> > adapter?
>
> Did you say what kernel you were using? I have a similar problem with my
> BT958... I'm thinking this is likely a sg driver issue though. Anyways,
> I'm going to overhaul my hardware... I have an odd motherboard and am
> using software raid. I'm grabbing a AMI MegaRAID controller, replacing
> the motherboard, and then I'll see how the BT958 fairs with a stock
> RedHat 6.0 kernel. If it turns out to be the BusLogic controller I'll
> have to see about swapping SCSI cards for the scanner... I think that
> cheap AHA-1505 that came with the scanner works with the aha152x driver.

I've had this problem occur in kernels as old as 2.0.26 and as recent as
2.2.10.
If it's an sg problem I'm inclined to think it should happen on other
setups aswell, but since I haven't heared anybody else bring this up, I
guess it's a BusLogic-only problem.

Leonard N. Zubikoff, creator of the BusLogic driver, has remained
unresponsive to my pleas for help.

> Right now this problem is greatly hindering my ability to do SANE
> related development.

Well, this is greatly hindering (i.e. making it impossible) my ability
to scan *AT ALL*!
It's reached the point where I can reliably make the machine Oops during
a scan.
If anybody has some good hints on how to trap all that output that flies
across the screen so I can submit it to developers that know how to deal
with it, I'm all ears.

And, like you, I'm getting myself a new SCSI adapter *JUST BECAUSE OF
THIS*.
I shouldn't have to, but if the developer seems uninterested and I'm
uncapable...

Cooper

--
I'd like to take this moment to ask you parents out there:
Please close the door when being probed by aliens. Think