Re: Machine lock-ups while scanning. HP scanjet 5P/BusLogic Flashpoint

Brian Macy (bmacy@sunshinecomputing.com)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 11:57:54 -0700

Cooper wrote:

> > I have a machine with both a Buslogic 930LT and a 950, any attempt to use the
> > 930 locks up the machine tight. I have never been able to resolv this problem
> > with over a year of trying, yet the 950 (Ultra wide) which the drives are
> > connected to works fine.
>
> But don't you think it's weird that I can do several scans before it
> locks up (then it's 3, then it's 30, but it always does eventually) and
> yet no other device on the SCSI bus has a problem?
> Writing CD's at 8-speed without any complaints, heavy datatransfers from
> CD to harddisk aren't a problem either.
> It's *ONLY* happening when scanning.
>
> Basically you're saying that I should bring this issue up with the
> developer of the SCSI driver for my adapter or get myself a new SCSI
> adapter?

Did you say what kernel you were using? I have a similar problem with my
BT958... I'm thinking this is likely a sg driver issue though. Anyways,
I'm going to overhaul my hardware... I have an odd motherboard and am
using software raid. I'm grabbing a AMI MegaRAID controller, replacing
the motherboard, and then I'll see how the BT958 fairs with a stock
RedHat 6.0 kernel. If it turns out to be the BusLogic controller I'll
have to see about swapping SCSI cards for the scanner... I think that
cheap AHA-1505 that came with the scanner works with the aha152x driver.

Right now this problem is greatly hindering my ability to do SANE
related development.

Brian Macy