Re: Slide scanner support?

Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 01:34:27 +0100 (GMT)

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Benedikt Eric Heinen wrote:

> - Nikon Coolscan II (how about Coolscan III, or LS-2000?),

The older Coolscan models LS-20 and LS-1000 work in SANE 1.0.1, though
the included software wasn't written which much thought on slides etc.

Hopefully one or more frontends better suited to this work will arrive?

Andreas Rick (who will likely explain further) has written drivers for
LS-30 (Coolscan III) and LS-2000, but that backend isn't part of a neat
packaged bundle yet. You can get it from --
http://andreas.rick.free.fr/sane/coolscan.html

There is also a known problem with some combinations of SCSI controller,
Linux driver, Coolscan scanners and the Coolscan III SANE backend :(

> The Coolscan III and LS-2000 are advertised to have some sort of
> "scratch detection/elimination" - are these things wired into the scanner,
> or is this a pure software thing (e.g. do I have access to this feature in
> sane/The Gimp)?

The scanner uses an additional Infrared light component to identify bits
of the image which have dust/ scratches/ whatever. A software process can
use this extra data to fix up problems. Andreas Rick (again!) is working
on software for this. There are some ongoing discussions on the list
about the technical side, but yeah, SANE or The Gimp can/will do this.

Nick.