Re: With a little help from my frineds... :-)

Milon Firikis (milonf@ariadne-t.gr)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:44:28 +0300

Meino Christian Cramer wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I am currenlty trying to write a new sane-backend for
> the AVISION AV630CS scanner.
>
> First I will try to implement a very very basic version, which
> only scans something. No gimmicks, no extras -- so that I can
> learn how sane works.
>
> The difficult I have is to decide what functions are really needed i.e.
> called -- for example -- by xscanimage.
>
> Can one offer her/his help?
>
> Thank you very much in advance,
> Meino

Well the best advise I can give is what I did to implement the Apple
Scanner backend.

Find a "good" backend which has many things in common with your scanner
and start coding from there. Now the definition of "good" may of course
vary, but basically means: readable by you, easy to cut and paste
from->to your backend.

If you want to start from scratch then I suggest you should implement
all the functions SANE needs as stubs (empty functions - non
functionality) with only Debugging messages inside to allow you to watch
the calling sequence flow.

MF